I took the plunge last night and just did it. Cartoules Press now has timeline for pages and it's pretty freakin' cool. I resisted it for the first half of the day, complaining about how I couldn't figure it out, wondering what happened to my landing page, but then I started playing around with it and I'm impressed. It allows business owners and brands customize their pages so that "likers" get a better experience with the brand. Here's what I've figured out so far. There are definitely more features, but these are the ones I'm most excited about. Now if only they'd let me change my business name (it hasn't been Cartoules Letterpress for over a year) they'd rock:
- Cover photo - this is probably my favorite feature. It's HUGE (the ideal size is 850 x 315 pixels). It allows me to beautifully display photos of my latest projects, and it's literally the first impression you make when someone sees your page for the first time. Choose your image wisely and make sure it's large enough. There's nothing worse than pixelated photo.
- Messaging for pages - I really like this feature because fans and potential customers can direct message me without having to post something on my wall. Private communication for both parties - something refreshing in social media.
- Profile picture - This likely stays the same as you had it before. It should however be your logo. Nice and clear. Let your cover photo be the image that shows your product, and your profile pic should be your logo. Also, ideally it should measure 180 x 180 pixels.
- Feature posts - This is also one of my favorites. With timeline, you're able to highlight special posts. Click on the star in the top right corner of your post. This will expand the post to the width of your page so it's prominent when people are looking through your page. You're basically telling people to stop here for a minute because they should read what you're saying.
- Pin a post to the top of your page - Another fav. If I'm doing a giveaway or having a sale, it's nice to be able to highlight this post for an extended period of time rather than lose it in the clutter. After you've posted your daily deal, whatever, click on the pencil icon at the top right corner of your post, and click 'pin to top'. This post will literally hang out at the top of your page for seven days with an orange ribbon in the corner to show that it's important.